What is Autrey Art?
Friday, October 30, 2020
Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Saturday, October 24, 2020
Top to Bottom
Photo shot in Seattle, September 2011 with Amber, Cole and Wilson - as shot
Same photo with B&W filter and some Photoshop Beta Neural face smoothing
Same photo with a different Neural filter and a pattern overlay of a repeating self portrait painted by my father, the late, great E.A. Autrey
Same photo toned down a bit by re-layering the original photo over the 3rd photo.
Since I am no longer travelling up to Seattle on a regular basis, this makes up for it a little.
Tuesday, October 20, 2020
Thursday, October 15, 2020
Trying to mock up a few future paintings and can't decide. Any thoughts on preferences would be very helpful! Choices below:
Top to Bottom:
1. Dodo Over the Rainbow
2. Dodo in Distressed Natural Environment (global warming theme)
3. Dodo in the Forest
4. Durer's Nemesis Angel of Fortune at the Beach with Raven
5. Durer's Nemesis Angel of Fortune with Rainbow Background and Raven
6. Boat in the water in Bolinas
Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Top to Bottom Two New Original Oil Paintings on Cradled Canvas: 5" x 5" x 1 1/2"
1. Fat Lemon - with final color glaze
2. Fat Pomegranate - with final color glaze
3. Lemon, before the final glaze, with the original model. Like Fernando Botero's paintings, the final product seems to have expanded! Link to Botero Museum in Bogota, Columbia for examples of his work (which I love): https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/museo-botero-bogota
4. Pomegranate with its model
Saturday, October 10, 2020
Top to Bottom
1. Finished still life "Brayer with a Jar of Paintbrushes" oil on stretched canvas 16" x 20" x 3/4"
2. Sketch of Cole Taylor June of 2016 which Wilson painted
3. Sketch of Wilson Taylor June of 2016 which Wilson painted
4. Sketch of wall with outlet and window July 2016 which Wilson scribbled on
5. Sketch of Cole and Wilson July of 2014 where Wilson added the bodies and did the coloring
The bottom four pictures were the inspiration for the top oil painting. I loved doing art with my grandsons where I would get to a point and they would take over. Often the results made the pictures much better! So, without the benefit of having my grandsons around, I pretended my Brayer had a life of its own, and it got into the action after I finished my still life painting, by smearing blue paint on the finished canvas.
Thursday, October 8, 2020
Saturday, October 3, 2020
Top to Bottom
1. Pomegranate: Needs one more thin glaze layer
2. New birds escaping a raptor against a fire haze sky. Underpainting stage 2
3. Paintbrushes in bottle with some refinements. At least one more pass coming up
4. Bird in a tree with a Full Moon. Underpainting.
Thursday, October 1, 2020
The state I remember fond ely
Photo taken by E.A. Autrey in Santa Barbara, 1963. Poem inspired by another day inside with my air filter running full blast because of the Red Flag warning, and the EPA PM2.5 (particulate matter) >150 (safe is under 50.) But I'm one of the lucky ones; Santa Rosa PM2.5 is >250 and Cloverdale is >400. If Covid doesn't destroy ones lungs, the bad air will.
Some good links on air quality below: