What is Autrey Art?

Random artworks by Lucy Autrey Wilson

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Remembering Camp Lorr in Santa Barbara in the 1960s




I was lucky to be a LIT (leader in training) at Camp Lorr in Montecito for a few years in the 1960s, while I was in Junior High and High School in Santa Barbara.  Somehow my older sister Laura Autrey had gotten involved and opened a path there for me.  Unfortunately, the last year I was at Camp Lorr, I scared my tribe of kids by pretending a witch lived in the woods.  They all ran screaming through the trees and I was not  invited back the following year.  The camp was fabulous.  It was in a beautiful part of Montecito.  There were loads of great activities and on Fridays real American Indians joined the camp for a pow wow with chanting, songs, dancing and a campfire lit by magic.

On the back of the middle photo (I think this is in 1965)  I jotted down the names of some of the staff and campers:
Back row:  Linda, Lydia Weintraub and me (Lucy Autrey)
Middle row:  Daniel Green, Ann Smotheron and Lori x and Eva Hestal
Front row:  Kelly Jackson (Jones), Julie x, Debby x, Lynn x and Debby Monson.
Also in the tribe but not pictured was Celeste Weidman

In the bottom photo, taken in 1964,  I only remember my fellow LIT and friends Nancy Manzetti (far right back row) and Lynn Howard (left of Nancy).  I'm on the left in back, with an unfortunate flip hairstyle.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have a friend in your photo of 1964 Camp Lorr. Would it be possible to get a larger MB photo of this? I can be emailed at campmesa1@hotmail.com. Diane Green Santa Barbara. Thank you

    ReplyDelete